The Fate of the Furious (alternatively known as Fast & Furious 8 and Fast 8, and often stylized as F8) is a 2017 American action film directed by F. Gary Gray and written by Chris Morgan. It is the eighth installment in The Fast and the Furious franchise, and stars Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris Bridges, Nathalie Emmanuel, Kurt Russell, Scott Eastwood, Charlize Theron, and Helen Mirren.
The Fate of the Furious marks the first film of the franchise since The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) not to star Paul Walker, who died in a single-vehicle crash on November 30, 2013, in the middle of production of Furious 7 (2015).
Plans for an eighth installment were first announced in March 2015. Preparations for the film began immediately after the release of Furious 7, with Diesel, Morgan, and producer Neal H. Moritz re-signing. After setting an initial release date in the same month, casting took place between April and June 2015. In October 2015, Gray, best known for directing Straight Outta Compton (2015), was announced to direct the film in the place of James Wan, who had helmed the previous installment. Principal photography began in March 2016 in locations such as Mývatn, Havana, Atlanta, Cleveland, and New York City, continuing the franchise’s tradition of filming around the world.
- Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto, a former criminal and professional street racer who has retired and settled down with his wife, Letty. He is coerced by Cipher to work against his team.
- Dwayne Johnson as Luke Hobbs, a DSS agent who formally allied with Dom and his team following their outings in Rio de Janeiro and Europe.
- Jason Statham as Deckard Shaw, a rogue special forces assassin imprisoned by Dom and the DSS after his defeat in Los Angeles, who serves as an ally to help Dom’s team take down Cipher for saving Dom.
- Michelle Rodriguez as Letty Ortiz, Dom’s wife and a former professional street racer.
- Tyrese Gibson as Roman Pearce, a former criminal from Barstow and a member of Dom’s team.
- Chris Bridges as Tej Parker, a mechanic from Miami and a member of Dom’s team.
- Nathalie Emmanuel as Ramsey, a computer hacktivist and a member of Dom’s team.
- Kurt Russell as Frank Petty, the leader of a covert ops team who aided Dom and his team in taking down Deckard Shaw in Abu Dhabi.
- Scott Eastwood as Eric Reisner, a law enforcement agent working under Petty.
- Charlize Theron as Cipher, a criminal mastermind and cyberterrorist who corrupts Dom into working against his allies.
- Helen Mirren as Magdalene Shaw, the mother of Deckard and Owen Shaw.
- Kristofer Hivju as Rhodes, Cipher’s right-hand man.
- Elsa Pataky as Elena Neves, a DSS agent and former Rio police officer who moved to the United States to become Hobbs’ new partner at the DSS.
Tego Calderón and Don Omar reprise their roles from previous films as Tego Leo and Rico Santos, former members of Dom’s team from the Dominican Republic and Rio de Janeiro, respectively. Luke Evans also reprises his role from Fast and Furious 6 as Owen Shaw, the younger brother of Deckard Shaw and a former rival of Dom’s team.